The College of Aviation (COA) at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Daytona Beach invites applications and nominations for the position of Chair, Department of Aeronautical Science. The College seeks a dynamic, nationally recognized academic leader with significant practical experience in the Aeronautical Science discipline to lead the college’s largest department. This 12-month faculty appointment is at our campus in Daytona Beach, FL.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is the gold standard in Aeronautical Science education. The department houses one of the largest civilian university-based professional pilot programs in the nation, as well as our unmanned aircraft systems program. The department draws students from around the world who are serious about their future careers. Its talented faculty, state-of-the-art aircraft and simulation, classrooms, lab facilities, use of instructional best-practices, and safety culture and professionalism produce graduates who are highly sought after by industry.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Aviation, the Chair of the Department of Aeronautical Science will be responsible for providing leadership in the development of faculty and academic programs, as well as participating in student recruitment, enrollment and retention efforts. He/she will develop and maintain channels of communication with professional groups and industry to ensure that the department’s programs are providing appropriate educational preparation for its students. The Chair will encourage the faculty in the department to embrace new teaching methods and research opportunities.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate will have:
- Earned a doctoral degree (Ph.D., Ed.D., J.D., etc.) from an accredited institution.
- Experience in academic administration in scheduling courses, assigning faculty, evaluating faculty, ensuring appropriate recordkeeping and regulatory compliance, etc.
- A record of developing and maintaining channels of communication with professional groups and industry to ensure that programs are providing appropriate educational preparation for the students.
- Experience in maintaining academic excellence with respect to a department’s teaching and research efforts.
- Experience in developing a strong and competent faculty to meet the University curriculum requirements and high standards of the department.
- A demonstrable record of providing strong leadership in encouraging and growing research among faculty.
- Experience fostering collaboration among faculty both inside and outside the department, in both research and innovation in teaching.
- Demonstrated successful leadership experience at a four-year institution of higher education focused on teaching, research, and service.
- Attained tenure and an academic rank of Associate Professor or higher.
- Appropriate FAA credentials.
The Department Chair is expected to begin no later than July 1, 2021. Applications should include a CV and a detailed letter describing the candidate’s aviation and administrative leadership experience as well as academic qualifications that demonstrate a fit with the Department of Aeronautical Science and the position. All materials should be submitted online through our application system.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.