Reports To: Chair of
the Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics
Reports From: STM Department
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
No. of position: 1
Position Announcement close date: Open until the position is filled
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit,
nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of
over 1,000 students.
The Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position Instructor/Assistant/Associate
Professor of Information Technology. Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the University. It
would be expected that successful candidates begin work in the spring semester of 2021. A review of applications will begin immediately and
will continue until the position is filled. The job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics (STM) at American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, Afghanistan (AUAF) seeks
ONE open rank full-time, non-tenure-track faculty member in the area of Information Technology. The position is a one-year
renewable, with the potential to be converted to a multi-year position. This appointment will begin in January 2021, which is AUAFs Spring
semester. The successful applicant is expected to reside in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Key outcomes include:
- International quality teaching and learning.
- Scholarship that benefits student learning and the mission of the university.
- Advancement of the university through service.
Faculty fulfil the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail
specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends,
and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract period
refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual
period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which full-time faculty are required
Teaching and Mentoring
- Teach a 12 credit load each fall and spring semesters, evaluating
student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as
- Remain engaged and current in the academic profession and in her/his discipline.
- Remain scholarly active, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include
the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
- Attend division meetings.
- Serve on ad-hoc committees when required.
- Serve on a faculty senate
- Provide academic advising to students assigned.
- Participate in division and university service work.
- Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
- Service to the university includes both internal
activities and external outreach on behalf of the institution.
- Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality,
participating in the life of the university, course coordination, assisting in curriculum review, creating new courses, preparing course
material to be used actively in related courses, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders
on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and other external service to the external community as required by
the Chair of the Division.
- A Doctorate in Computer Science, Information
Technology, Image Processing and Analysis, Machine Learning and Data Mining or a much related discipline is strongly preferred.
- Master’s degree any academic major related to Computer Science, Information Technology, Image Processing and Analysis, Machine
Learning and Data Mining with three years of progressive work experience within any of the qualifying fields of Artificial Intelligence and
Data Science is required.
- Successful candidates at the rank of Assistant Professor and above must have a Ph.D. degree in
Information Technology or a much related discipline from a reputable research university, and a demonstrated ability for research and
- Significant teaching experience in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Publications and/or other evidence of professional engagement.
- Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict
- Experience teaching in liberal arts universities, to students across majors.
- Ability to create and deliver
innovative courses in Information Technology
- Ability to teach a wide selection of courses within the Information Technology major,
from foundation to senior courses.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to
work at a recently formed university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a
generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international
health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main
campus or the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the-art security infrastructure and protocols and are
protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is
by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover
letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to email@example.com Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until
the position is filled. Please, include AF-Int-43-2020- Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor of Information Technology
in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not
be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from
the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal
opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment
practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent
on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their
safety and security in Afghanistan.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.