The Director of Academic Technology Services & Innovation (ATSI) provides leadership and management for the University’s learning
management system, instructional technologies, instructional design services, multimedia design services, and assistive technologies. This
position will develop and implement a strategic roadmap of educational technology that aligns with the University’s mission, goals,
and objectives. The position will provide leadership for enhancing teaching and learning through the identification, evaluation, adoption,
and integration of effective educational technology innovations. The position and the team at ATSI will provide support to faculty on a wide
range of educational technologies.
This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt position with benefits. Benefits include: medical &
dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, sick & vacation time, tuition remission benefits starting after 90
days (employee) or 2 years (spouse and children) of employment, retirement contributions after 2 years of employment, and eligibility for
the University’s home purchase assistance program consistent with program requirements. (Please note that eligibility for all
University benefits is subject to applicable policies, practices, and requirements.)
The full job description is available at: http://bit.ly/DirAcaTechSrvs
- Lead and manage the development, implementation, and establishment of strategic priorities that
benefit and align with the mission, goals, and objectives of the University of Portland and ATSI.
- Serve as a thought leader in the
cultivation of teaching and learning research and scholarship as it relates to higher education technologies, online learning, and blended
- Help keep ATSI on the leading edge of relevant developments in the field.
- Manage and supervise the ATSI team
whose primary mission is development, training/consulting, and system administration that supports the academic technologies at the
- ATSI provides services that include workshops, webinars, training, and consultations with faculty.
- Supervisory duties include hiring, training, setting individual performance goals, providing training and professional development,
completing performance reviews and other performance management duties, coaching, and day-to-day supervision, and disciplinary
- Lead and manage On the Bluff Studio (OTBS). OTBS produces media for the academic community through student employees
and student interns.
- Work collaboratively across departments, colleges and administrative units in support of excellence in
teaching. Collaborate with faculty developers on projects and initiatives that promote best pedagogical practices and appropriate use of
- Manage and engage in the provision of consultations to faculty in-person, over the phone, or through email on a
variety of educational technology tools. Manage and engage in the creation and facilitation of technology trainings and workshops for
faculty from a variety of disciplines with various levels of technology skills.
- Actively seek to form strategic partnerships with
University Deans and Provost to address faculty needs and provide opportunities for teaching support.
- Represent ATSI on university
committees and task forces that relate to educational technology.
- *As of October 2020, the University uses the Moodle learning
management system. Based on the University’s needs, technologies used can change. The expectation is that this position be able to
engage in the position’s responsibilities with a wide-range of technologies, including when technologies used at the University
- Other duties as relevant to the duties of the position or as assigned by supervisor or designee. Please note that the above
list of duties is not comprehensive but generally demonstrates the types of matters under this position’s purview and
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Technology, or related field.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in relevant area such as
education or educational technology.
- Required: 5 or more years demonstrated leadership and management of technology, e-learning,
instructional design, and distance education.
- Required: Demonstrated knowledge in pedagogy and online web enhanced teaching methods
- Required: Demonstrated personnel management experience.
- Preferred: Demonstrated experience in higher
- Strongly Preferred: Experience with Moodle and/or other Learning Management Systems.
- Or equivalent education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership experience on initiatives
related to teaching and learning, especially with technology.
- Significant experience with tools that support in person and online
- Demonstrated experience improving pedagogical practices and using innovative and advanced technologies.
- Demonstrated management and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated experience developing professional development programs and
creating and delivering trainings and workshops.
- Demonstrated budget management skills.
- Strong verbal and written
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure, manage multiple tasks, and be
detail-oriented and deadline driven.
- Strong orientation towards taking ownership of projects and assignments and being proactive
with projects, assignments, and process improvements.
- Strong relationship development skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills
and ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Competence with and commitment to diversity and inclusion. Ability to be an
effective partner with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Professional demeanor and ability to establish effective working
relationships, professional rapport, and effectively accomplish work within a University setting that includes a wide array of individuals,
groups, policies, and processes. Ability to work effectively with various constituencies including the general public, faculty, staff,
administrators, students, alumni, and other members of the University community.
- Ability to use and learn computers, technology,
software, and applications at level of proficiency and sophistication required for the duties of the position, including, without
limitation, Microsoft Office and the internet.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.