Business Relationship Manager
Texas A&M University
Division Of Student Affairs It Support
Proposed Minimum Salary
College Station, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values.
Who we are
The Department of Information Technology (DoIT) contributes to Texas A&M’s student learning and development by providing specialized and dependable technology solutions for student affairs professionals across the division’s 17 departments. We aspire to be the IT partner of choice for our customers by leveraging our unique knowledge of student affairs, IT service management, and Business integrations to provide exceptional business value to customers.
What we want
We’re looking for someone passionate and energetic to help create and execute the strategic direction and day to day operations of Business Relationship Management within the Division of Student Affairs. The optimal candidate possesses a learning orientation to changing technology trends, demonstrates the ability to take initiative to solve problems and assume responsibility, and is capable of balancing multiple and varied tasks, as well as working well in an environment that has changing priorities and interruptions. It is preferred that this person has an educational background in either Information Technology, Business or Communication. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If you love working with a diverse group of people and varied lines of business, have excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, and have strong planning, time management, and organizational skills, then you’re a desired candidate and we’d love to hear from you!
What You Need To Know
COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors and updates our recruiting, hiring and onboarding processes to align with local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. Each department has established both remote and in-person procedures for conducting these processes, which include sanitizing common spaces, a mask policy, and maintaining safe physical distancing. Departments will provide the procedures to be followed at each step of the recruiting process.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five years of related experience in IT, which includes two years of team / project leadership
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills, interpersonal/human relations skills, and documentation skills
- Ability to grasp modern technology concepts quickly, translate IT and business vocabulary, and build strong alignment (relationship) between IT and business
- Skills in establishing and monitoring performance metrics
- Strong team leadership and supervision skills including motivation, coaching, mentoring, and training
- Industry related skills to include knowledge of the IT industry and trends, and proficiency with the Information Technology Interface Library (ITIL) and best practices in Business Relationship Management
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Business, or Communication Field
Preferred Licenses and Certifications:
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL), Business Relationship Management (BRMP), or Project Management (PMP) certification
- Leads as the strategic interface between the Department of Information Technology and DSA business partners to stimulate, surface, and shape business demand
- Develops a deep knowledge of DSA business partner processes and strategy, and builds positive relationship development, both horizontally and vertically
- Ensures business value realization and optimization through consultancy, business case development, financial awareness, managing expectations, and identifying value opportunities
- Assists DoIT teams with project and initiative progress, including consistent and effective communication, risk management, and issue escalation
- Educates DSA business partners on Information Technology processes, roles, and capabilities
- Creates and provides training to Division business partners on the use of technology services
- Establishes and maintains communication processes and channels across business functions
- Measures and communicates realized business value with business partners on a periodic basis
- Acts as thought leader to pro-actively identify opportunities for continuous improvements across DSA business partners
- Acts as a counselor and advisor within DSA to ensure successful introduction of new solutions, technologies, and applications to enable business processes
- Links business/marketplace trends with technology impacts on the business; communicates impacts to the business
- Manages day-to-day activities of the Business Relationship Management Program (BRM) for the department to ensure it meets organization goals and requirements
- Recruits, hires, and directly supervises business relationship management staff and coordinates work to support communication, training, and strategy objectives
- Enforces ethical, regulatory, and performance standards
- Encourages teamwork and collaboration to support department strategy, and serves as liaison between BRM team and other functional teams within the department
Strategic Planning and Direction
- Provides input to Senior Management on medium-long term business IT Strategy to help focus service and operational strategy
- Acts as a strategic counselor, leveraging industry trends for business partnering activities, while communicating the vision and strategic direction for delivery and investment of IT services and solutions
- Utilizes knowledge of industry trends to identify business problems that could benefit from a technology solution and opportunities to improve technology productivity and efficiency
- Identifies internal and external technology initiatives/trends that could affect the business and its ability to manage within its risk appetite.
- Facilitates understanding of TAMU rules, SAPS, and IT controls and their effect on DSA business partner strategy
- Directs the activities, development, and planning for Business Relationship Management.
- Develops Division IT best practice policies while incorporating university and system level requirements
- Engages the team in continuous improvement evaluations of these policies and practices
- Oversees management and planning for complex IT projects, information systems, specialized technical areas, or portions of DoIT services infrastructure
- Ensures the adoption and consistent use of processes and metrics
- Assists in developing Business Cases for new projects
- Discovers project opportunities and their overall concept, scope, sponsorship and value opportunity
- Partners with IT internal/external suppliers to search for adequate solutions to IT needs
- Monitors execution of projects
- Assists PMO in communications, managing stakeholders, resolving project issues
- Establishes close communications and good working relationships between Information Technology teams as well as customer liaisons, representatives, and other departmental teams
- Represents the department on appropriate committees or meetings dedicated to solving mutual problems, exchanging information and improving services
- Maintains a positive relationship with other departments and personnel that will assist in the development, funding, promotion, and/or public relations of the Department of IT
- Supports the success and objectives of the Department of IT
- Participates in training and professional development sessions
- Provides on-call support on nights and weekends as needed
- Completes reports and summaries for management and/or users including status reports, problem reports, project/progress summaries and utilization reports
- Performs other duties as assigned
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University and TAMHSC, must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.