The Network Systems Science & Advanced Computing (NSSAC) Division of the Biocomplexity Institute & Initiative at the University of Virginia is seeking motivated, enthusiastic, self-driven postdoctoral associates for multiple positions in machine learning, data analytics, and high-performance computing.
The Biocomplexity Institute performs cutting-edge research in computing and data science. The research is motivated by applications in complex societal problems. Applications include smart and sustainable infrastructures, one health, and computational social sciences.
This position provides the opportunity to collaborate with a large team of researchers working on a diverse range of projects from genomic analysis to high performance network science. The postdoctoral researcher will work on developing novel machine learning, data analytics, and HPC methods and will contribute to multiple projects funded through DARPA, NSF, NIH, NASA, IARPA, and others. They will also have opportunities to work with our collaborators at multiple universities, including Stanford, MIT, Virginia Tech, University of Maryland College Park, Yale, and Princeton as part of a new multi-disciplinary research project.
To learn more about NSSAC and BII, visit: https://biocomplexity.virginia.edu/nssac
The UVA Biocomplexity Institute is located in the UVA Research Park at 995 Research Park Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA. Due to the current conditions as a result of COVID-19, this position is expected to begin on a teleworking basis with the expectation to work onsite when it is deemed safe to do so.
- PhD in any of the following fields: artificial intelligence, machine learning, high-performance computing, algorithms, statistics, applied mathematics, economics or in a very closely related field. Candidates must hold a PhD at the time of appointment.
- Experience programming in java, python, or C++.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, demonstrated through the development of publications and delivery of presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative team science environment.
- Preferred application areas include public health, sustainable infrastructures, and network science.
- Research experience with big data, social science, data visualization, and multi-scale simulations.
- Experience with databases and computing on clusters.
- Programming for parallel computing.
To apply, complete an application online through Workday and attach the following:
- Cover letter detailing your relevant experience and interest in the position.
- Summary of coursework (completed and current, if applicable).
- CV and list of references.
***Please note that you MUST upload multiple documents into the CV/Resume box. Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for R0018643.
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0018643.
This job posting will remain open until all positions have been filled. All roles within the institute are restricted positions and are dependent upon project need, availability of funding, and performance. These are one-year appointments; however, appointments may be renewed for an additional two, one-year increments, contingent upon satisfactory performance, the continued available funding and business need.
Questions related to the positions may be directed to Savanna Galambos, Special Assistant for Administrative Affairs, email@example.com. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position also requires an Education Verification (FSAKA).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.